Planning your wedding can be a bit overwhelming. There’s so much to do from setting a date and deciding on a venue, to ordering your wedding dress and choosing a colour scheme. When it comes to choosing your wedding cake there’s a lot to consider, so we’ve put together a few top tips to help you make the right choice without too much effort...
- Think about the design: What do you want your wedding cake to look like? If you have a particular theme or colour scheme then it’s a good idea to tie your wedding cake design in with the overall style of your wedding. Check out our post on wedding cake trends for some ideas to get you started with the style and design of your cake.
- Be honest about your budget: Set your maximum cake budget and be honest about it when speaking to cake makers. If they know you’ve only got £200 to spend on a cake then they’ll base their designs on the best they can offer you for your budget. Don’t be afraid to shop around and get quotes from a few different cake shops to see who can best cater to your budget.
- Taste some cakes: Of course you want the cake to look good, but you also want your guests to enjoy eating it too. Most cake makers will be happy to offer you a consultation and allow you to sample some different flavours of cake. Fruit cake can be a bit outdated, but a recent trend is to have a different flavour in each tier.
- Order the right size: You may like the visual appeal of a five tier cake, but if you’ve only got 50 people coming to the wedding then it’s not going to get eaten and that’s a waste of money. Wedding cake is usually priced by the slice so let the cake maker know how many people you want to feed, and they can tell you which size is suitable. An average three tier cake will serve up to 100 guests, while five tiers will cater for 200 guests.
- Look for ways to save money: Your wedding cake doesn’t have to cost you a fortune to look impressive. If you’ve only got a small budget you could use fake, polystyrene cakes for display purposes, and serve your guests from several cheaper tray cakes. A tower of cupcakes with a small cake for cutting is also a popular choice for brides on a budget.